Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day of Hearts

Today is Valentine's Day.

I took my parents out to lunch and was surprised with a Valentine's Day card from them. Luckily, I was equipped with cards for both my Mama and Dada.



Dad had to go to work after lunch... so I took mom home and we hung out together the rest of the day... after I took my nap, that is. I got to open a gift from my G.G. -- it was chocolate! My mom let me sample some of it. Yummy!



Overall, I had a pretty good Valentine's Day. I was just happy that my mom was a little less frantic today. Oh yeah, you probably don't know the story....

Yesterday, while I was napping my mom got a call from a police detective from California. She hasn't lived there in years. She was told that while going through an apartment of a suspect for an unrelated crime, he found a piece of paper on their table with all my mom's personal identification... name, SS#, bank account #, old drivers license #, age, weight, height, etc... The detective said my mom was likely a victim of identity theft. Turns out -- she is.

While talking with her bank, my mom noticed the last check posted out of her account was counterfeit. A check had been created (with my mom's name misspelled) and wrote a check to a grocery store for food (according to the check memo).

My mom had to have our local police come to our house to take her statement so the police in the state where these criminals live can build a case against them.... and so she has a case number should any more fraud happen.

The officer was really nice. He even let me see his car lights and gave me a badge sticker.



My mom still doesn't know... and probably never will know how these people got all this information about her. She just hopes they get what's coming to them... metal bars.

Happy Valentine's Day!

-- Logan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home