Thursday, October 14, 2010

No more tonsils

Today was a big day for me. I wasn't allowed to eat anything after bedtime last night and was only allowed to drink apple juice or water until 9:30 this morning. I was due for surgery just after noon.

My tonsils were just too big. They blocked more than 50% of my airway than they should, I have a hard time breathing while I am sleeping, I don't sleep well and it is not good on my heart to have such a hard time breathing.

I have been getting a lot of special treats today. When I woke up, I found GeoTrax Googles and Bunsen on my bed (I wanted this toy on my last birthday cake but it was impossible to find). I was given the Thomas game cartridge for my Leapster while we were in the waiting room. I also got to play Wii while waiting.



After my name was called, I got into the hospital pjs and met spoke with my nurse and doctor. The anesthesiologist let me to pick the smell I wanted for the gas I was to breath in through the mask. I picked no smell... it smelled like a new toy!





The surgery took only about 15 minutes. I don't remember any of it! My parents were told by the doctor that my tonsils were indeed very large and that this should help me breath so much better with them gone.

My parents got to be by my side in the recovery room while I woke up. It took me a while to wake up and when I did, my mom said I was like a newborn baby bird and sounded like a seal. I really didn't like how my throat felt. I cried a lot. I was scared.




After some juice, popsicle, an extra shot of morphine and a 15 minute snooze... I was feeling more myself. I got dressed into my Thomas pjs and got a ride in a wheelchair with Froggy and my new pet giraffe.



I threw up in the car on the way home... but that made me feel better and I fell asleep. At home, mom and dad got me settled on the couch with cartoons, a popsicle and the quilt from preschool.



I know at times I will not feel good. But I think I will love this getting to watch TV, eat popsicles and ice cream, and all the attention I am getting.

Thanks for thinking of me!

-- Logan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home